Also known as Weed, Pot, Stinkweed, Cannabis, or Mary Jane, it is classified as a schedule 1 controlled substance. Moreover, in the United States, it is the second most commonly consumed psychotropic drug after alcohol.
Let’s dive into the findings of 2020-2021 Data, Facts and Stats
- According to WHO, approximately 147 million people or 2.5% of the total global population consume cannabis.
- 12% of Americans are active cannabis users.
- Also, in 2016, 24 million US citizens or 8.9% of the total population were current cannabis users.
- Support for legal cannabis is at an all-time high of 68%.
- The sales of legalized cannabis in the US is projected to grow at a compound rate of 14% (CAGR) to reach $29.7 billion by 2025.
- The U.S. cannabis industry is worth $61 billion.
- Regarding age, Eaze’s 2019 report showed consumers age 50+ increasing by 105%. They also purchased 67% more topicals than in 2018.
- In 2018, California was the leading state in terms of total cannabis sales, with $5.6 billion.
- In terms of cannabis products preference, 43.6% prefer flowers, 16.6% vapor pens, 9.8% concentrates, 9.6% prerolls, and 9.6% edibles.
- Interestingly, at $58,511, marijuana jobs pay well above the median US salary.